Monday, August 4, 2008

Indonesia Raya - The National Anthem

Indonesia Raya is the national anthem of Republik Indonesia. The composer is W.R.Supratman. This song was introduced the first time in a national youth conference on 28 October 1928 in Batavia (now known as Jakarta). It was chosen as the national anthem when Indonesia proclaimed its independence at 17 August 1945.

Indonesian Lyrics
Indonesia, tanah airku, tanah tumpah darahku.
Di sanalah aku berdiri, jadi pandu ibuku.
Indonesia, kebangsaanku, bangsa dan tanah airku.
Marilah kita berseru, “Indonesia bersatu!”
Hiduplah tanahku,
hiduplah neg’riku,
Bangsaku, rakyatku, semuanya.
Bangunlah jiwanya, bangunlah badannya
Untuk Indonesia Raya!

CHORUS:
Indonesia Raya, merdeka, merdeka
Tanahku, neg’riku yang kucinta.
Indonesia Raya, merdeka, merdeka
Hiduplah Indonesia Raya! (*2)

English Lyrics
Indonesia my native land, the land where I shed my blood.
There I stand, being a soldier of my mother.
(Note: “mother” here refers to ibu pertiwi which means ‘motherland’)
Indonesia my nationality, my nation and my country.
Let us exclaim “United Indonesia!”
Live my land, live my state, My nation, my people, all.
Build its spirit, build its bodies For Great Indonesia!

CHORUS:
Great Indonesia, independent and free,
My land, my country, which I love.
(probably equivalent to English’s Long live my land)
Great Indonesia, independent and free,
Live Great Indonesia! (*2)

No comments: